August 17, 2009

bathrm redo- reveal

DIY Day @ ASPTL
This is the longest post I have ever done, but it was necessary, you'll see why. First, let me tell you a bit about the history of this restroom. When we purchased this house built in the 80's, 3 and a half years ago, this bathroom had a low, brown, dated vanity with yucky yellowish, glittery counter top, huge mirror which I have saved, hideous round glass balls used for lighting hung on with chains one on each end of the vanity, and black...yes BLACK vinyl flooring. Can you imagine that? Since then, we have replaced the black floor with a free piece of better looking cream vinyl one, added a new light fixture, mirror, and the pedestal sink. ($350.00 estimated total)

This is the only pic I have of the sink, and the vanity, it's the only 1 of 3 still left. Sorry, for the dirty faucet, the cleaning lady was sick......OK I can't lie to you, I don't have a cleaning lady. Hey, I was busy decorating my daughter's bathroom, isn't that more important??



This was what I started with, plain and too simple. The color on the walls is 6430 Great Green by Sherwin Williams.

Remember my $1 inspiration?


Ta Da!! Here is what I was able to put together with $2.50 worth of scrap paper and two .99 cent glass containers I purchased at Hobby Lobby. I already owned everything else. I have to say though how fortunate I was to have found coordinating scrap paper that matched perfectly with the shower curtain (GW buy for $1.99) It was fun and a bit stressful at times, but my daughter loved it and isn't that what matters??
The white shelf was a freebie and I painted the trash can with flowers. I am still searching for 3 coordinating baskets. Tray and tea light lamp purchased from GW a while back, ($1 a piece). I painted the tray and decoupaged it, and the lamp shade was spray painted in watermelon from Krylon. The lids were painted white, labeled, and added a cute flower sticker. I also decoupaged the outlet and light switch.
I purchased these wood chips from Hobby Lobby (4 for .99 cents) and spay painted them with chalkboard paint on one side and decoupage the other with scrap paper. The white cabinet was purchased at Goodwill for $12, I just switched out the knobs and added scrap paper to the bottom shelf. I made the frames, added a decoupaged flower to the tissue holder (GW $1.75), sprayed painted the dragonfly, basket on top, and the metal one on the shelf. *I have replaced the metal basket with a long white wash basket that better fit the space, after I had already downloaded this picture. Welcome to the world of decorating, one minute it's there, the next minute it's not or placed somewhere else. Can you relate to this? If you must see a picture of the new basket just let me know and I will post a picture just for you. :)
Note to self: center curtain rod before taking the picture
The curtain is a shower curtain folded and flipped on a rod, still not done detailing it though.

I wasn't sure what to do to the mirror to dress it up, but then I remembered reading a tutorial, on a wonderful blog(please let me know who you are), on making decorative magnetic glass beads using scrap paper. So my wheels starting turning and I used that idea to come up with this one. Here is a closer look at the cute beads.
I would love to hear what you think?

I am linking to Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch for

and to Kim @

for Make Your Monday!

and to Kimm at



26 comments:

Allison said...

Cute redo! A happy space!

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

Wow! What a re-do!! The green paint color looks fantastic! You've done a great job accessorizing!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Great job! You used such fun colors!

Unknown said...

I love the color palette. It is a fun room. Great job tying it all together.

Jennie said...

OMG, I just love it! Love the colors! You've got one lucky little girl!

Its So Very Cheri said...

What cute colors. You did a great job and so thrifty.
Come for a visit.
Cheri
Its So Very Cheri

ImagineCozy said...

I love what you did to the frame on the mirror. It makes it so whimsical! Love it.
-Angela

Virginia said...

Great weekend transformation! looks great!

Unknown said...

Great makeover! Love the paint color and the touches of pink. You did a beautiful job!

Tina

Jen said...

Nice transformation. I love the colors!

Unknown said...

LOVE IT! Great redo!

Susie Q said...

What a great bathroom. I have GOT to do something to ours and you have some great inspiration there!

sluggocsr said...

Lilia, you are so talented. The bathroom is beautiful. And you say you're not creative, I don't believe it for a minute.

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

That turned out so cute!

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

So many wonderful ideas in one little room. I love it especially the little glass pieces on the mirror. It's geneus!
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

Kim @ Twice Remembered said...

This bathroom is so FUN and pretty! I really love the colors you used - your kids must be thrilled to have such a beautiful space!

Jen Kershner said...

Your bathroom is like a breath of fresh air! Just lovely!

Jenny Froh said...

Love your makeover!

Andréann said...

Really lovely, The space looks much bigger!

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

WOW...that is the sweetest little bathroom redo EVER! I love all the details. It is obvious you were doing this for one special little girl! I bet she absolutely loves it. Great job.

~amanda

Unknown said...

Love it! Your daughter is a lucky girl to have such an adorable bathroom! Thanks for linking up to Trash to Treasure Tuesday, please add a link to REINVENTED in your post so that your readers can check out all of the projects, thanks!

Emma said...

What a lucky girl! You did a great job - very creative use of scrap paper. Too cute!

Pam @ This Humble House said...

That's a great color scheme! I like how it all turned out!

Unknown said...

Wow, you sure turned that in to a girl's dream bathroom. I bet she adores it!

Six in One Hand said...

It looks soooo adorable!! I really love the colors. Great job!!

Julie said...

I really like all the little details! What a darling bathroom.